Tuesday, 4 December 2007
AOL, MTU... WTF???
This week I helped a friend install a wireless network in their home using their AOL Broadband connection. They purchased a Belkin ADSL2+ Modem with Wireless-G Router, I configured it using their username and password and enabled wireless security. All seemed well until I got a call a few days later. Their 2 computers both had connections to the internet but they were unable to view certain URLs like Hotmail, MySpace or any of Belkin's websites to get support! Eventually (with help from a friend), I found out that something called MTU was causing the problem. The router's MTU was set to 1342 but for AOL Broadband, it has to be 1450. The MTU can be changed using the router's web interface. For this model, it can be found by going through the steps for setting up the connection type.