Tuesday 4 December 2007

No more wires

After buying a new laptop, a NAS drive and a wireless gaming adapter, I decided to splash out again and increase the performance of my network. Poor transfer rates between the laptop and NAS drive made it almost impossible to utilise it's full potential.

I always favoured Linksys hardware but I've now converted to using products made by Belkin. I chose the Belkin N1 Vision router because it offers up to 300Mbps transfers which is perfect for a network with NAS drives.

The first stage was the installation of a new internal network card for the laptop. When I bought it, I went for the cheaper alternative which doesn't support the IEEE 802.11n draft specification (something I would later regret). Alienware provided me with the new card (at an additional £30) and instructions for carrying out the upgrade myself.

The second stage was more simple - setting up the new router. Luckily, the router has a very easy-to-use wizard and it was up and running in no time. I even managed to keep all my old static IP addresses for the laptop, NAS drive and Xbox.

After only a few minutes, I started to see the difference. I can now transfer high volumes of data in a fraction of the time. I would highly recommend the N1 Vision to anyone looking to increase their network range and speed.

No comments: