- Create the new project in Visual SourceSafe (I prefer to think of them as folders but SourceSafe calls them projects).
- Launch Windows Explorer and navigate to the physical location of the root folder containing the new files/folders. This location should be below the working directory and the name should be the same as the newly created SourceSafe project.
- Drag and drop everything from the root folder into the new project.
Assume that your working directory is C:\WorkingDirectory and you want to add a some files/folders from C:\WorkingDirectory\NewStuff.
- Create a project called "NewStuff" under the working directory ("$/") in Visual SourceSafe.
- Launch Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\WorkingDirectory\NewStuff.
- Drag and drop everything from C:\WorkingDirectory\NewStuff into the "NewStuff" project.