Thursday 22 May 2008

How do I add files/folders to Visual SourceSafe recursively?

The best way to add files and folders to Visual SourceSafe recursively is to drag and drop them from Windows Explorer.

  1. Create the new project in Visual SourceSafe (I prefer to think of them as folders but SourceSafe calls them projects).
  2. Launch Windows Explorer and navigate to the physical location of the root folder containing the new files/folders. This location should be below the working directory and the name should be the same as the newly created SourceSafe project.
  3. Drag and drop everything from the root folder into the new project.

Example:
Assume that your working directory is C:\WorkingDirectory and you want to add a some files/folders from C:\WorkingDirectory\NewStuff.

  1. Create a project called "NewStuff" under the working directory ("$/") in Visual SourceSafe.
  2. Launch Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\WorkingDirectory\NewStuff.
  3. Drag and drop everything from C:\WorkingDirectory\NewStuff into the "NewStuff" project.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, for your article

The Turquoise Mage said...

Thanks!!! Worked like a charm. This has always been a huge issue for me. I am still, however, not the world's biggest Visual Source UNSafe fan :)

Anonymous said...

This saved me a lot of time. It had never occurred to me I could simply drag/drop directories into my newly created library. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thank you sir for putting this out there to help us all. It is a timely help and I appreciate it very much.