I was recently on call when I got alerted to a scheduled task that failed to run - the following error was added to the Event Viewer:
EventType clr20r3, P1 MyApp.exe, P2 188.8.131.5257, P3 4935215a, P4 MyApp, P5 184.108.40.20657, P6 4935215a, P7 5, P8 1, P9 system.typeinitialization, P10 NIL
The exe is executed on the first day of every month and we didn't have any problems the previous time. After doing some digging, I got the impression there wasn't a single cause as everyone had a different story. One possible explanation was unhandled exceptions but I knew the application hadn't been updated since it's last execution. What I failed to notice was a config file that had been updated - some required settings simply vanished. Running the exe through a command line interface returned the exception which highlighted the missing values.